Sometimes I need a side dish to complete a meal that doesn’t require a lot of hands on time as I’m busy tending to the children, homeschooling, or garden harvesting. This is when I go to my freezer for things I’ve prepared for an occasion such as this. We generally need some carbs to round out our meal and fill those ever hungry little tummies. Root vegetables are great for a filling side dish. I prepare this in large quantities and freeze in gallon bags for a quick grab and heat side dish to round out any meal.
The flavors from the butternut squash, onions, bell peppers, carrots, and beets really bring a robust flavor to this side dish.
Once cut and bagged, this makes a great go to side dish for when you don't have time to spend in the kitchen cutting and de-seeding.
- 1 large butternut squash,peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 2 large onions, cubed
- 3-4 large bell peppers, cubed
- 4 large beets, peeled and cubed
- 5 large carrots, cut into one inch slices
- Place cut vegetables onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets in one layer and freeze.
- Once frozen transfer vegetables to one gallon bags, or other freezer friendly containers.
- When ready to use, place desired amount of frozen vegetables on a cookie sheet and generously drizzle with olive oil until vegetables are well coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in oven at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until done.