Valentines day is right around the corner and what better way to say, “I Love You” than chocolate covered bacon? I’ve heard about chocolate covered bacon for a couple years and it never did sound good to me. Why ruin chocolate with bacon? My husband and children see it differently though and think the two are the perfect combo just waiting to be united. So if that’s you, hold onto your hat, cause you’re in for a treat!
Chocolate covered bacon is quite easy to make and doesn’t take long. Two tips: buy thick cut bacon, preferably nitrate-free and quality chocolate. I used this brand, but if you can find this brand it’s preferable.
- 1 lb. nitrate-free thick cut bacon
- 10oz. bag bittersweet chocolate chips
- raw almonds (optional)
- kosher real salt (optional)
- Cut bacon in half.
- In a large cast iron skillet fry bacon pieces until crisp. Let drain and pat dry on paper towels or other cloth. You want the bacon dry for easy dipping.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips.
- Once the chocolate is melted gently dip each bacon strip in chocolate (front and back) then lay on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the cookie sheet in fridge until chocolate is hardened. Enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
For variations try sprinkling kosher salt or chopped almonds over chocolate coated bacon before you place it in the fridge to harden.
Linked To: Wellness Wednesday