I had mastitis once with my first. It was bad. I thought I was dying. It took a round of antibiotics to kick it to the curb. Then a whole new set of problems started, thrush. That was even harder to get rid of. I didn’t have any problems with mastitis with children 2 and 3. I’m currently nursing my fourth child and honestly I thought I was past any chance of getting mastitis.
See, he’s 15 months old and only nurses about 6 times a day. But then the pain came. My first thought was a plugged duct. But within 24 hours I was running a fever, I felt horrible and the pain was getting worse. This is what I did to treat mastitis naturally.
- I started taking poke root tincture immediately, 4 drops every 8 hours.
- Pumped the affected side in between feedings.
- Took a long hot (as hot as I could stand it) bath, and submerged the affected side.
- In the bath water I added 2 cups of epsom salt
- Covered the affected area with hydrated redmond clay, also rubbed hydrated clay over the lymph-nodes (under arms, under knees, neck, jaw, etc)
- Slept with a cabbage leaf inside my bra covering the affected breast.
- Wore loose and nonrestrictive clothing. This includes a supportive nursing bra that isn’t tight , and a loose shirt.
My fever was gone in 24 hours. I continued the above steps for a couple of days until the pain started to lessen and by day 4 it disappeared.
Note: If you think you have an infection please see a physician. Most cases of mastitis need to be treated with antibiotics, and can cause damage to the tissue of the breast if not treated. I personally did see a physician who prescribed me antibiotics for the infection. We agreed that I would continue with the natural treatments and if it got worse not better within so many days I was to take the antibiotics. Thankfully I didn’t need the antibiotics. I am just sharing my personal experience with you. You should work closely with a physician should you have such an infection.
This post contains affiliate links
Linked To: Mama Moments, Make It Yourself Monday, Homestead Barn Hop,Modest Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Ways Sustainable Ways, Teach Me Tuesday, Tending the Home, Eco-Kids Tuesday, Healthy Today Wednesday,Encourage One Another Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesday,Walking Redeemed, Hope In Every Season, Natural Living Link-Up, Alive Thrive Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday,Home Acre Hop, Get Fit Friday, Creative Christian Mama