Almond milk is delicious and easy to make. Forget the store bought stuff that more likely than not is filled with gums, preservatives, and other artificial ingredients. For maximum nutrition start with raw almonds (if you can find them, almonds can be labeled raw when they have been pasteurized, we use the Truly Raw brand).
Soak almonds in warm filtered water for 12-24 hours.
Blend. Strain through a nut milk bag squeezing until dry almond pulp is only left. Serve chilled.
This is a delicious alternative to dairy milk that is lightly sweetened with raw honey and a hint of vanilla.
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon real salt
- warm filtered water
- 3 cups filtered water
- dash real salt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Place almonds in a large bowl or jar, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cover generously with warm filtered water. The almonds will absorb the water and expand.
- Let soak for 12-24 hours.
- Drain almonds and rinse.
- Place the rinsed almonds in a blender, add 3 cups of filtered water, dash of salt, honey and vanilla if using.
- Cover and blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain almond milk through a nut milk bag, squeezing until all the liquid is gone and you are just left with the almond pulp.
- Serve chilled.
After you have strained the almond milk through a nut milk bag, towel, or cheese cloth you will be left with a dry almond pulp. Don’t throw it away! Dehydrate it and use it as almond flour*.
*While I haven’t baked exclusively with dehydrated almond pulp, I do add it into my canister of almond flour and mix it in and have never had a problem with the quality of my baked goods that use almond flour.
Linked To: Mama Moments, Make It Yourself Monday, Homestead Barn Hop,Modest Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Ways Sustainable Ways, Teach Me Tuesday, Tending the Home, Eco-Kids Tuesday, Healthy Today Wednesday,Encourage One Another Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesday,Walking Redeemed, Hope In Every Season, Natural Living Link-Up, Alive Thrive Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Home Acre Hop, Get Fit Friday, Creative Christian Mama